The Wisdom of Vaginal Steaming and Why Women Have Steamed for Thousands of Years
Updated: Aug 9, 2022
Vaginal Steaming has recently become re-popularized however women have been using this ancient tradition for thousands of years to support the health of the female reproductive system.
Cultures all across the world have used vaginal steaming for overall care and wellness and also for specific female health concerns. Midwives have used vaginal steaming for chronic yeast infections, bacterial infections, postpartum care, cysts and fibroids for thousands of years.
Women have been known to steam traditionally in Haiti, West Africa, Hawaii, Mongolia, China, Australia and beyond.
And now, women all across the world are remembering the wisdom of vaginal steaming!
Vaginal steaming is a restorative and healing modality that supports the health of the vagina and female reproductive system. By mixing organic herbs with hot water and creating a tea, the steam can then gently rise into the vagina to support healing.
If you want to learn more about vaginal steaming, the history of it and how it's transformed women's health, listen to our podcast about vaginal steaming here.
How to do Vaginal Steaming ~
1. Set up your space with your vaginal steaming stool or prepare to squat over the pot of warm water. (See more details about vaginal steaming stools below!)
2. Add approximately 6 cups of filtered water to a large stock pot and mix in your vaginal steaming herbs. Cover with a lid and turn to medium-high for 13 minutes. Within a few minutes the water will be boiling - just allow it to boil until the full 13 minutes are complete.
3. After the 13 minutes, remove the pot from the stove and set it down on the floor on top of a towel. You can then position your steaming stool right above it or prepare to squat over it. Remove the lid (beware of the hot steam!) and wait 30 seconds or so until you can safely put your hand in the steam without burning yourself.
3. Disrobe from the waist down and grab a large blanket to wrap around you. You can then sit on your steaming stool or very slowly straddle the pot (be mindful not to touch it - it will be very hot!) and have your hands on the floor in front of you. Move slowly here so you don't burn your vagina.
4. Wrap your blanket around you firmly to keep the steam flowing upward. As you wrap the blanket around you, you'll notice the steam feels hotter so position your hips higher or lower depending on the sensation you prefer.
5. Settle in and steam for 15 - 30 minutes.
6. Repeat as needed by your vaginal steam facilitator.
When Vaginal Steaming should be avoided ~
While vaginal steaming is a powerful healing modality, it is not suitable for everyone at all times. The key times to avoid vaginal steaming are:
-when menstruating or actively bleeding
-when actively bleeding after giving birth
-if there is an active infection
Vaginal steaming protocols also need to be changed slightly if you have an IUD, Nuva ring or active infection. Please seek support with a professional so that you begin your vaginal steaming journey safely!
If you feel called to add this sacred practice into your life, I recommend purchasing our Organic Vaginal Steam Kit Herbs and setting up a private session to discuss your intentions with vaginal steaming.
Because every woman is different, it is impossible to give a general recommended time for vaginal steaming. I recommend setting up a private session so that we can go over your health history and create a balanced vaginal steaming protocol.
We are honored to announce that we will soon be carrying sacred Yoni Steam Stools for vaginal steaming as well! We have found an incredible builder who will be making these gorgeous offerings for us and these will soon be available to purchase on the GoddessCeremony website. Stay tuned!!
Purchase an Organic Vaginal Steam Kit here
May you feel this wisdom connect you to your most sacred space!
Cassandra Wilder, N.D.